Holiday Haul #2: MAC Stroke of Midnight Viva Glamorous Lip Bag

By  |  21 Comments

The MAC Viva Glam collection is a usual favorite of longtime MAC fans, not just because of its showcase of the most timeless and glamorous lipstick shades (it isn’t called Viva Glam for nothing!), but also due to the funding it provides for one of the world’s pioneering charities dedicated to HIV and AIDS patients—the renowned MAC AIDS fund. It’s been around since 1994 (that’s the year I was born!) and has raised a staggering 270 MILLION USD to date by donating 100% of every Viva Glam lipstick and lip glass proceeds to charity. If that’s still not admirable (and a cause worth splurging for), I don’t know what is! ;)

MAC Stroke of Midnight Viva Glamorous Lip Bag

Taken with the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS with minimal post-processing on Pixelmator

I’ve been thinking of getting the Viva Glam I for quite some time now since I’ve read it’s one of MAC’s classic reds, except I had been torn between it and Dubonnet (another MAC red that’s supposedly very similar to Viva Glam I) for a significant amount of time, too. I wanted Viva Glam I because of the MAC AIDS Fund charity proceeds plus it had a lip glass of the exact same shade, but I had seen Dubonnet on one of my friends and it was gorgeous!

…fate decided for me, though, by letting the only online store I found selling Dubonnet run out of stock. Fortunately, that was also just about the time the news of this lovely lip bag broke out! Not only did I get more than what I bargained for (in a good way), I got to donate to charity, too! :)

Scroll down for the photos of the makeup included in the set!

MAC Stroke of Midnight Viva Glamorous Lip Bag: MAC Viva Glam I Matte Lipstick

MAC Stroke of Midnight Viva Glamorous Lip Bag: MAC Viva Glam I Cremesheen Glass

I tried these products on the day I took these photos (last Wednesday), and I was in love! I still didn’t get to take photos of swatches on skin and on lips because I was running late for my 8AM class, though. I absolutely DESPISE mornings.

Anyway, I was actually supposed to make one whole collective post of all the items I got from the MAC Stroke of Midnight collection, but then I realized my MAC Stroke of Midnight Lip Bag in Purple has yet to arrive and that would pretty much mess things up since I won’t be able to make a post on it until the latter part of December, so… yeah, that’s pretty much an introduction to #OCproblems (or basically #ErikaProblems) for you all. :lol:

P.S. My post on the swatches, reviews, and more photos of this holiday haul (and of the first one) will be up as soon as my academic workload lightens (because thesis > life :cry:). Please keep checking back for updates!

Up next on Erika’s Secret Closet…
Holiday Haul #3: MAC Stroke of Midnight Lip Bag in Pink!

21 Comments

1. natziwang

November 22, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I’ve been deliberating whether or not to get this one. It looks so good! Looking forward to swatches and photos of you wearing it. =)

• Erika

November 22, 2013 at 10:59 pm

If you don’t have a similar red (or if you’re just fond of reds in general), I think you should! It’s a classic. <3

Thanks! I'm looking forward to actually updating my blog regularly, too. My thesis is taking over my life! :cry:

2. Just Jona

November 23, 2013 at 2:29 am

I’m torn between Viva Glam I and Ruby Woo! Excited to see swatches. :) From which online store do you get your goodies, btw?

• Erika

November 23, 2013 at 2:39 am

Oh, but the two are quite different from each other actually. Ruby Woo (or RiRi Woo, they’re pretty much identical really) is much more blue based while Viva Glam I is more of a clean, neutral red. I guess I could say it also has a bit of a brown undertone but that probably depends on the wearer’s skin tone! :)

Try Digital Traincase!

• Just Jona

November 25, 2013 at 12:41 am

I think I’m going for Ruby Woo. My sister is going to get it for me for Christmas, hopefully! :) Thanks for the quick comparison!

• Erika

November 25, 2013 at 12:53 am

You’re welcome! :) Make sure you prep your lips meticulously before using that, though, because I heard it has the most drying formula among all of MAC’s matte lipsticks!

3. Just Try Things

November 23, 2013 at 4:06 am

I will be sure to check back for the swatches :)

4. Abigail P

November 23, 2013 at 11:03 am

Skincare post please please please!

• Erika

November 24, 2013 at 9:15 am

Sure! I’ll add that to my pending posts list. :lol:

5. fanhtasywhorld

November 24, 2013 at 10:03 am

Nice post . . . MAC products are always great.

• Erika

November 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Thank you! Yup, I love their products! :)

6. Meryl @ Memoiselle

November 24, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Hi Erika,
    I’m glad that I’ve found your blog!
    MAC Viva glam is beautiful! I’m not so much of a red lipstick girl but I guess every girl needs a red lipstick right ;)

• Erika

November 24, 2013 at 9:43 pm

This is very flattering. :) Thank you, Meryl! I’m curious though, how did you find my blog?

…and yes, not having at least one red lipstick is missing half of your life! ;)

7. Ms B. BAD

November 27, 2013 at 4:39 am

Its great that MAC does this campaign! Im not a big MAC makeup girl but they do have some of the best lipsticks!

• Erika

November 27, 2013 at 10:40 am

I wish they extended their funds to breast cancer foundations too, though, but yeah it really is great that they’re helping charities out in the first place! And yup, I love love love MAC lipsticks!

8. Your Makeup Social

November 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Ouu I’m super excited for your next post with your swatches!!! :)))
    Thank you for being an awesome makeup blogger that is also down to earth. It makes such a huge difference on how others can connect! Keep at it with your fab posts!

• Erika

November 27, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Aww, you! Thanks so much for the kind words, I really appreciate it! And yes, I really can’t wait to publish all my pending posts and update my blog with all my ideas. It just sucks so much that I’m so up to the brim with school requirements that it’s so difficult to find time! I admire how you guys update your blogs regularly. :(

9. Michelina

January 7, 2014 at 8:15 am

Love this post, wish to use more of your posts in the future